Love Your Gut Week Recipe: Courgette Shakshuka
This recipe is inspired by the Middle Eastern dish made from spicy peppers and onions topped with eggs. In this version courgettes are spiralised and stir fried with sunflower seeds and herbs. The sunflower seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients and together with the courgettes provide dietary fibre to feed the microorganisms in the gut. Most people in the UK do not eat enough dietary fibre but adding vegetables and seeds to everyday meals increases the fibre content of the diet and helps to keep the gut healthy.
Preparation and cooking time 20 minutes
• 4 medium sized courgettes
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 4 tbsp sunflower seeds
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 16 piccolo or cherry tomatoes, halved
• Juice from ½ lemon
• 4 free range eggs
• Small bunch mint (or parsley)
1. Cut each courgette into lengths that will fit the spiraliser. ‘Spiralise’ the courgettes to form lengths of curly courgette. Place the lengths of spiralised courgettes in a large frying pan that has a lid and drizzle with a little olive oil. Begin to stir fry the courgettes over a medium heat. When the courgettes begin to soften add the sunflower seeds, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for about 8 minutes moving the ingredients around the pan to ensure even cooking. Season well with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
2. Make four little wells in the courgette mixture. Break the eggs into a cup, one at a time, and drop them carefully into the wells. Cover with a lid if you have one and cook for five minutes or until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny.
3. Serve sprinkled with a little chopped mint or parsley.
Cooks tip: You might find it hard to make enough space for 4 eggs in one pan. If so, divide the courgette mixture between two pans and cook two eggs in each.
Variation: This dish would be lovely with small pieces of chorizo or bacon tossed through the courgette mixture to suit meat eaters.
Recipes care of Dr Joan Ransley for Love Your Gut www.loveyourgut.com
For more information visit www.loveyourgut.com
Follow them on Facebook @LoveYourGutOnline and Twitter: @loveyourgut and join the conversation with #LoveYourGut